Parenting is the toughest yet most rewarding job you will ever have in your life.
With the copious amounts of responsibility to work and raise your kids, you may find it difficult on top of day-to-day tasks add in exercise.
Knowing it must be done is half the battle. Luckily, MECKids can help with the other half. Here are 5 great tips on how to get your kids involved with exercise.
1. Be the example! Show them it’s fun. If they see you doing it, they are more likely to want to join in. Remember your kids are watching you and a lot of what they will do in their life has a lot to do with what they’ve seen growing up.
2. Make fitness a challenge in your home. Team up with others in your family to create fitness challenges. If you can grab fun gear, you can create challenges like: “Who can hula hoop the longest?” If you don’t have access to gear, make chasing each other at the local park a fun game!
3. Kids may not like the idea of exercising so use alternative words if you have to. Instead ofmentioning the word “exercise,” you can say, “Let’s go have some fun together.”
4. Once your child starts becoming active, praise them for what they are doing to create encouragement. They will most likely want to do it again if they know they will be praised for it.
5. Create a colorful and interactive calendar. Aim for an hour of activity a day. Have them place a sticker or mark off different days with a different color once the activity is done. It gives them something to look forward to after.
If all else fails, sneak in active time. A great way to do this would be parking far away from places you have to go so you have to walk further.
These tips are great ways to set the example for your kids and a fantastic way to create more bonding time.
It can difficult to balance work and all of your family’s needs but that’s why MECKids was created. We are dedicated to helping you and your kids find a passion and a purpose to live a healthy lifestyle! On November 15th, MECKids is launching MomNmeFit, a program designed specifically for Moms and their kids to get out and get active!
Stay tuned and keep moving!