Stress is common for adults but did you know, kids can get stressed as well? It’s true, and though reasons adults stress may differ from that of children, it can still wear on them. Their mental well-being is just as important as their physical well-being.
Here are 5 amazing tips to help your child de-stress!
- Breathing exercises: Have them take 3, deep, 5 second breaths-in and out. This circulates the blood in our bodies and sends oxygen to the brain to help the body release tension.
2. Listen to soothing music to relax them. Calming music can have a direct effect on mood and ease the mind and body to put kids in their happy place.
3. Laughter! Watch something funny with your child or tell them funny jokes. Just like exercise, laughing releases endorphins or the “feel good chemical” in our bodies and make them feel less anxious.
- Get their minds elsewhere. In other words, distraction. Activities like exercise are best. They cause a calming effect on the body that may soothe and will tire them out as well making them feel more relaxed.
5. When in doubt, talk it out. Sometimes just venting is all kids need to feel better about a situation that has made feel tense or anxious. Talk with your kids, ask them what they are feeling and figure out the best way to make them feel better, together.
Kids often times don’t know how to deal with their feelings especially ones that don’t make them happy. That’s why it’s important to provide them with methods of coping with the stress they may encounter. We would like to think they have no care in the world but they do experience stress and following tips like these will make it easier for parents to manage stress factors on their kids.
How do you help your kids de-stress? Share in the comments below.